Suffolk Local Offer

Specialist, Alternative and Home Education

Some children with SEND may need more specialist or alternative education provision, or be educated at home.

Specialist Education in Suffolk

Most children with SEND will have their needs met in their local mainstream school, but in a few cases, specialist education may be required.

Child with SEND at school

Alternative Provision

Alternative Provision or "AP" settings are places that provide education for children who can't, for various reasons, currently attend their school. 

A child at an alternative provision placement

Elective Home Education (EHE)

Elective Home Education (EHE) is when a parent chooses not to send their child to school full-time but assumes responsibility for making sure their child receives a full-time education other than at school.

Mother and daughter doing sums at the table together

Education Otherwise than at School (EOTAS)

Educational provision made to meet the needs of children and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans who cannot attend a mainstream or special school.

Tutor with teenage girl looking at laptop